Saturday 14 September 2013

Day 5: Graphics - My Future Self

Today I lesson was based on our future self, we had 3 hours to plan and create our piece. My tutor Andy explained to the group that we should plan on a small scale as it saves time. Which makes sense as there was no point of producing a A1 or A2  print when you would scrap it half way. At first I was lost on what to do so I just wrote down thing I want to do in the future:


I then had the idea of drawing an eye to signify my insight to my future. I then decide to cut out the drawing to create a stencil of an so I could insert something in the background.

At first I thought I would just make a doodle page on the next page to show through the eye. I wanted the doodles to illustrate my future but I didn't really like the outcome as I though it looked a bit boring and would probably not look good on a bigger scale.


For my final piece I decided to stick to drawing an eye. I originally wanted to illustrate the eye in drawing inks but I left them at home (never again will I forget them!) so I just used pencil and black markers. At first I didn't like it as I couldn't create as much depth as I wanted to with the shading. I decided to just trail and error for most of it and started cutting out curve with my cutting knife.

I then stick some scrap brown paper I found in the studio to highlight the background. I then decided to fill in some of the cut outs with words that I had previously wrote in my sketch book. I left some cut outs blank as I wanted to signify change and that I will add stuff to aspirations in the future. 

Photocopy and sketchbook development

I inscribed my work with the title 'Le future, coming soon' as anything in French sounds fancy! I wanted the 'coming soon' to also denote me not trying to prolong decisions and not realising the future is now! 

I actually liked my overall product in the end.  I do prefer my b&w photocopied version that is in my sketchbook because it looks more flat and finished and I think the brow paper I pasted at the black add a bit of colour. However, I think my original would look better if I added some drawing inks to take away some of the white space and to create more depth. I also think that if  there was less white space, the text and the brown paper would stand out more. Although I do like the fact that you can't see the words aswell without being close up as I like the thought of them being personal and not in your face.

A2 final piece

No comments:

Post a Comment