Tuesday 1 April 2014

FMP - Visit to the Science Museum

I visited the Science Museum last week as someone told me that there was a exhibition called Mind Maps: Stories from Psychology. The exhibition was ok but to be honest it was a bit boring. I felt that there was a fair amount of information but it wasn't captivating and I feel as thought the location it was exhibited in was dimly lit so it made me feel sleepy which means I didn't feel intrigued by what was on display.

Here are some notes and sketches I made in the exhibition. A few interesting points I noted were;
  • 'Where is the mind? Is it in the brain, or does it extend through the body and into the world beyond?'
  • '1880-1920: Expert advised that the pace of modern society was unnaturally fast and frantic, literally drawing nerves'. This had been thinking about what someone in my group crit said, which was, is mental health affected by the way we are living?


Some work that was displayed in the exhibition:

Transition Series by Susan Aldworth, 2010. The artwork attempts to capture the vivid experience people with epilepsy experience. (Note to self: What do people see before they go into there depression ect?




After the exhibition I went upstairs to see if I could find anything about mental health and the brain but surprisingly I didn't find anything or anything useful except a little section about asylums in the Victorian days.

Table displaying type of mental illnesses the Victorians diagnosed to patients. Some interesting ones include religious excitement and jealousy
Overall I kind of feel the Science Museum didn't contribute as much to my project as I was hoping unfortunately. I was hoping for more info on the brain and mental health as it has been catergorised under science. I'm going to have to see if I can find any other galleries and museums that will assist me with this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment