Tuesday 1 April 2014

FMP - Tate Modern

Today I went to Tate Modern as I was feeling uninspired by the Science Museum. I feel as though going to a art museum is a better insight from the artist view as I can see there work in person and see if I feel any sort of emotion from the artwork that I wouldn't be able to capture from a book or the internet

Here are some notes and sketches I made:


Some notes I took interest in were:

  • 'The child in man is all the strangest, most receptive, most open and unappreciated' - Karel Appel
  • 'I am interested in the way time records itself into thing and people' Miyako Ishiuchi (Photographer)
  • Robert Motherwell believed art should be an expression of the innermost feeling of the artist
  • Whereas Gerard Ritcher felt art should be an edited version of your life

From being at the Tate I feel as though the work that called to me and which I feel suggested that the Artist is expressing offbeat emotions were the abstract and contemporary pieces. I'm not trying to say that other artwork doesn't show this but I guess for this project i'm looking for the obvious signs in artwork. I feel that with abstract art emotions are shown in the colours used and the brushstroke techniques. To me the abstract art shows the mental and physical emotion. With the contemporary artwork it is more about the meaning behind than the work than the actual piece which suggest that the artist needs to display that emotion or meaning.

Hip, Hip Hoorah!, Karen Appel, 1949
Gothic Landscape, Lee Krasner, 1961

From Line, Lee Ufan, 1978
Five Day Forcase, Lorna Simpson, 1991



From this Tate trip I think I should include Abstract and Contemporary art into my final piece. And maybe get other people to think what kind of art do they think shows emotions more, if any?

No comments:

Post a Comment