Tuesday 29 October 2013

Knitting

Today we learnt how to use a knitting machine. It was interesting to learn how many clothes that I wear are made. I found today's task a bit challenging as there was loads of tedious steps but I think with more practice I will get the hang of it. Most of the samples I made end up having a hole in them but I tried to work with them. I did have a video of how to thread the knitting machine but it won't load to this blog post (I will try and reload later)

Notes from class
Here are the sample I managed to make in class. I tried to match my wool to my mood board, there wasn't a wide variety of colours so I just used cream and orange.:

This was just a plain knit, which was simple to do.

Plain
This was my stripe and honeycomb sample, really just like the cleanses of the horizontal lines and the gathering at the to.. This was my neatest sample and my favourite techniques.


Stipe and Honeycomb 
This sample was the lace hole, I also liked this style but I found it a bit difficult to do but I'm sure with more practice it would look a bit better. I like lace hole as I really like lace, mesh and chiffon and was interested in how they were made.

Lace hole
This was the orange peel sample. This is probably my worst sample, the technique was difficult to do. I don't really like this style as I think it doesn't look clean and neat.

Orange Peel
At the end of the day we had to make a A4 sample of our favourite styles of knit, which also had to be inspired from something from our mood boards. I chose to do the honey comb knit as it resembles the wrinkles of an old man in mood and some pleats on a ladies dress (picture below). I didn't manage to complete a whole A4 sample as I was in a pair and we didn't have enough time to do a whole one each, so we just did half. For my overall sample I was going to add a vertical honeycomb to my horizontal honey comb to represent the horizontal wrinkles and the vertical pleats.


My finished sample
These are my two favourite samples of today.



No comments:

Post a Comment