Monday 7 October 2013

Day 13: 3D - "Water Bottle Holder"

The next task of today was to make a sculpture that could hold the weight of Geoff's water bottle. We were only aloud one A1 piece of paper and a strip of masking tape that was half the length of my arm. I didn't really have any amazing ideas on this one so I just started off making small coiled cylinders. My first ideas was to make dozens of these and to then stick them together to make a sturdy built up structure. But I soon realised I didn't have enough time to make several cylinders. I then decided to think of another quicker structure that I could entwine my cylinders with. I decided to use a technique I used in fashion and textiles which was creating a large paper spring. I then stuck the cylinder columns at the outer corners of each level . It was a bit of a trial and error but it just about managed to work. These are some pictures of my making progress and my final structure:

Coiled cylinders made of strips of paper






These are some images of testing it to see if it stood the test!:








It kind of worked but Geoff suggested on turning it on it's side which work out better and held the water bottle higher off the table. This task got me to think of how its kind of complicated trying to build a structure for a the building that is aesthetically pleasing and possible to build. I guess it is just easier to build a conventional structure and then add decoration on the outside and inside to make it better looking.


No comments:

Post a Comment