Monday 7 October 2013

Day 13: 3D - "Hold My Weight" Sculpture

The last task of today was to build a structure that could hold my own weight by sitting or standing (which ever one was safer). It was basically supposed to be a seat but Geoff avoided the word. It also had to be flat packable and be made of no more than 4 sheets of cardboard. For the structure I decided to plan it out in my head before I started making so it could be more successful than my last structure. I kind of tried to think of a quick  put together design that I could imagine on Channel 4's Gadget Man that I have been watching for the past couple of weeks. So I decided to create a slot in design. It was made up of two triangular shapes for the base, one asymmetrical shape for the seat and for rectangular scores shaped for the leg support.


Extra support made the base really sturdy







Equipment I used



My structure wasn't able to hold my body weight. It didnt collapse to the ground when I sat on it but i could feel the seat guving. It wasn't the base that wasn't strong it was more the seat as it was only one sided. I think if I had to improve it I would create a seat to cover both sides and that had a strong structure underneath the seat to support extra weight.

One leg...

...Two legs. 

It would make a good side table/coffee table

My classes final structures

I enjoyed this last task more than I expected t, it was fun making large designs. I also like how neat my structure was, to me it was aesthetically pleasing I don't know if that was good or bad thing for this task!

No comments:

Post a Comment