Thursday 13 March 2014

FMP - Research (Books)

As my mum is a Psychotherapist she has a lot of books a mental illness and I discovered a book she has on Family Art Therapy which focuses on the theory and practice of Art Therapy. The books a bit confusing and doesn't cover a lot on the are I want to focus on but I found a few interesting pages on how we view art. According to this book their a 3 ways of viewing art which is either:
Structuralism: attempts to look at artwork as it essentially relates to kinship patterns and social blueprints
Formalism: analyses the visual language e.g. line, shape, space, colour and lighting
Connoisseurial: aesthetic value  of the art taken into account i.e. the time and place, giving artwork a poetic quality

Family Art Therapy book taken from mum's bookshelf

From that book I took some notes:


I also went down to the library where I found a book called Outsider Art by Roger Cardinal. The book covers artists who suffered from mental illnesses and some of who were in asylums. In the beginning of the book it covers madness and art, which I found very interesting. Cardinal references Cesare Lomborso, saying that 'he found artist were ten times more prone to mental disorders than the average man'. The chapter also covers that psychiatrist were mostly concerned with the medical aspect of these artist which I am going to take into account and try to look at it from a different side like the artist's side.



Photocopies and notes of these books in my sketchbook




No comments:

Post a Comment